You can tell a lot about a person based on what books they value most highly. These are some of the books that have shaped me most. The Death of Ivan Ilyich changed my perspective on living a good life, and Meditations inspired my willpower to move away from the past.
Those two books are generally quite well-known and regarded as classics, unlike, for instance, When God Was a Rabbit. However, I enjoyed the latter novel so much; it managed to contain both humour and serious topics with such great balance. And, of course, there was a rabbit called God. I really hope that Sarah Winman writes some more fiction.
It must be said that not all of my favourite books have high ratings. Great Expectations, The Odyssey, and Virginia Woolf’s The Waves don’t make my five-star list, yet they are some of my favourites. But anyway, that’s not the main point of my post.
Here are my top rated books on Goodreads:
- Meditations – Marcus Aurelius
- The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories – Leo Tolstoy
- Trainspotting – Irvine Welsh
- War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
- Why I Write – George Orwell
- How Fiction Works – James Wood
- First Love and Other Stories – Ivan Turgenev
- A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings – Charles Dickens
- The Lover’s Dictionary – David Levithan
- When God Was a Rabbit – Saran Winman
- Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
- Kafka on the Shore – Haruki Murakami
- Once in a House on Fire – Andrea Ashworth
- A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseini
- The Stranger – Albert Camus
- If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things – Jon McGregor
- Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel García Márquez
- The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
- Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier
- La Casa de los Espíritus (The House of the Spirits) – Isabel Allende
- La Sombra del Viento (The Shadow of the Wind) – Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- Young Romantics: The Tangled Lives of English Poetry’s Greatest Generation – Daisy Hay
- The Little Prince – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- The Book Thief – Markus Zusak
- Looking for Alaska – John Green
Retreat Into The Sanctuary & Enjoy Seven Days to Reset
Love books, feeling a little lost right now, and looking for some comfort and guidance forwards? I made The Sanctuary exactly for this.